Md. Aftabur Rahman, currently working as an Assistant Professor at the Civil Engineering Department of Chittagong University of Engineering & Technology (CUET). Mr. Rahman has been in academic teaching since November 2008. His primary responsibility is to conduct undergraduate and postgraduate courses of fundamental soil mechanics. Also, as a member of the Bureau of Research, Testing and Consultation (BRTC) of CUET, Mr. Rahman engage in several consultancy projects. These include detailed soil investigations, seismic assessment of buildings, etc. Earlier, Mr. Rahman earned his Ph.D. degree from Yokohama National University (YNU), Japan in September 2016 for the dissertation “Ascertaining a hands-on approach to estimate debris flow velocity for rational mitigation of debris hazard.” He also holds a Master of Engineering degree from Saitama University in Japan with majoring in Geotechnical Engineering, and a B.Sc in engineering degree from Chittagong University of Engineering & Technology securing 1st position in Faculty of Engineering. At this moment, Dr. Rahman engages in researching the field of geotechnical engineering. His focus is to provide mitigation measure of geotechnical hazards of Bangladesh. A 3D particle method code is under preparation for simulation of slope stability analysis. Besides, geotechnical characterization of unstable land masses is also considered as a key point of his research. Two graduate students are now doing their research works under his supervision.
Numerical modeling of geomaterials, Large deformation geotechnical hazard analysis, Liquefaction, Ground Improvement, Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics, Buried Pipelines, Soil-Structure Interaction
PhD (in Engineering), Yokohama National University, Japan
M.Engg., Saitama University, Japan
B.Sc Engg. (Civil), CUET, Bangladesh
• Engineering Geology & Geomorphology
• Geotechnical Engineering-I
• Geotechnical Engineering- II
• Basic Geotechnical Engineering lab works
• Building Design lab works
1. Nafisa Tabassum , M.Sc Engg. Student, (Tentative title: Development of a meshfree particle method for slope stability analysis considering soil non-linearity)-Principle Supervisor
2. Most. Mukta Banu, M.Sc Engg. Student, (Tentative title: Geotechnical parameter assessment of tall building foundation)-Principle Supervisor
3. Sanjoy Das, M.Sc Engg. Student, (Tentative title: Geotechnical hazard assessment of unstable slop for rational landslide hazard mitigation)-Co supervisor
1. Prospect of Fly Ash to Stabilize Coastal Soils of Chattogram, Submitted to the DRE, CUET, Fund: USD 3000, Period: 2019-2020
2. Geotechnical Characterization of Soils in Chittagong: A Case Study, Funded by Directorate of Research and Extension, CUET, Total Grant: USD 3580, Period: 2018-2020 (on-going)
3. Development of meshfree particle method for slope stability analysis, Funded by Directorate of Research and Extension, CUET, Total Grant: USD 1320, Period: 2017-2020 (on-going)
4. Improvement of expansive soils by using geopolymer, Funded by Directorate of Research and Extension, CUET, Total Grant: USD 1980, Period: 2017-2020 (on-going)
Analytical and Numerical Modelling
I have been dealing with analytical and numerical modeling since 2008. I developed two models based on different particle-based methods. All of my models are 3D to account for the real scenario of the problems. My analytical and numerical skill is strongly supported by the papers published in scholarly journals (like SDEE, Landslides, CGJ)
Software and Programming
I am familiar with several programming languages (C, FORTRAN, MATLAB). In the last 6 years, I use FORTRAN for developing my model. Besides, I know some professional software’s like AutoCAD, ETABS, SAP 2000 etc.
I always prefer to work within the timeline. I did finish my Master and Ph.D. research in the given time with appreciation from the professors.
Communication within the folks
I keep relations with professors, students, and professionals working in my area.
• Associate Editor of 3rd International Conference on Advances in Civil Engineering
• Organizing Committee member of 3rd International Conference on Advances in Civil Engineering
• Experienced in organizing several seminars in the Department of Civil Engineering, CUET
• Invited Faculty at Military Institute of Science & Technology (MIST), BMA Campus, Chittagong
• Involved in various civil engineering testing as part of Bureau of Research, Testing, and Consultancy (BRTC) of CUET from 2009-till
• Experienced in structural and foundation design of several multi-storied residential and commercial buildings
• Experienced in Geotechnical consultancy works, especially in geotechnical testing
Complete Publication lists are available in the personal page: maftabur.weebly.com